Why Every Entrepreneur Needs To Be a Storyteller and How To Become One
Throughout history, people have connected with stories. And the ability to tell a compelling story is crucial to your success as an entrepreneur.
Kindra Hall, bestselling author and keynote speaker, has built her business around storytelling and firmly believes that every entrepreneur and business professional needs to be a storyteller.
You can watch the video of our full discussion below or just listen to the audio version as a podcast. If you want more content like this you can subscribe to our Youtube channel.
Stories are powerful ways to build connections and relationships, develop empathy, and showcase a brand. In a crowded and competitive marketplace, stories allow entrepreneurs to differentiate themselves and add a personal touch to their business.
Given a choice between listening to statistics or facts or listening to a story, people will always choose a story. And stories stick with them longer.
Entrepreneurs can use stories to share why they created their business, what makes them unique, the mission behind their products, and their journey and vision for the future. Stories can be told in person, through marketing materials, online, and even through our thoughts and the stories we tell ourselves.
But not all stories are created equally. Compelling stories bring the listener to what Kindra calls the co-creative process by involving them in the action and sharing the emotions of the experience with them.
We frequently get asked things like: What do we use for courses and email marketing? What platform do we use to find people to join our team? What tools do we use for project and task management? Where do we host and publish podcasts and how do we transcribe them? And More. Well, we just put together the Entrepreneurs’ Online Business Toolkit PDF which will give you a complete breakdown of the tools we use to run our 7-figure businesses and how we use them. Click here to grab a copy, it will be an invaluable resource in your entrepreneurial journey!
Kindra says that all successful stories have four key components:
- An identifiable character. Listeners need to be able to connect to a human in the story. Kindra says that businesses often talk in vague terms, but effective stories must have an identifiable character that listeners can picture and connect with emotionally.
- Authentic emotion. Kindra points out that a compelling story doesn’t have to be super emotional and ready for a movie. Even small emotions add dimension to the story and help listeners build connections.
- A moment. Every story should have a slowdown where the listener can zoom in and picture themselves in the story. Slowing down and focusing on a specific moment combines the experience of the story with the listener’s own experiences.
- Specific details. Effective stories need particular details that bring the story to life and drive the co-creative process.
Becoming a skilled storyteller takes practice and vulnerability, but the effort can lead to strong relationships, empathy, and emotional connections. If you want to succeed as an entrepreneur, become a storyteller.
If you enjoyed the article and want more content like this here’s what you can do:
- Subscribe to The BYOB Podcast Newsletter to get notified when a new episode comes out (once a week).
- Listen to episode 95 of the podcast where we talk about these things in much more detail including sharing our personal stories.
- You can also connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Linkedin.
- If you’re interested in sponsoring or have suggestions for the show, you can send us an email at email@example.com.